It doesn't take much to have fun and the other afternoon the kids and I entertained ourselves for quite a while with some veggies from the garden, the wheelbarrow and the dogs (and the camera). I did first, however, have to lure them away from the tree. (Benjamin, by the way, cannot climb the tree and that can be quite distressing to him).
That does mean that he will often get the first pick of the garden.
And the first wheelbarrow ride!
I love that having a garden encourages healthy, spontaneous snacking. There is the ever present danger that some veggies never make it to their full potential, though.
"Benjamin, what did you do with that little baby pepper??"

The grape tomatoes are the favorite and the plants have done well this year to keep the kids well supplied. Our yellow summer squash, zuchinni and cucumber plants were attacked early in the season by aphids and yellow striped cucumber beetles. I felt so defeated when I pulled them all out.
I think I've had the most fun with the carrots, since I've never grown them before. And pulling them up is like opening up a package-- you are never quite sure what they will look like!
This is our biggest one to date. It was a pretty exciting package to open!

I never seem to get all three kids looking at the camera at once. Two out of three isn't too bad...


Lovely Lila, aquiring more white in her old age. This angle is rather slimming for her!
Want a taste, Ollie? 
My little kale sprouts coming up now.
Comparison of the mammoth carrot that Jackson pulled out with the little ones he accidentally grabbed hold of first.
Here's a hole where we pulled out one of the carrots. If you look closely in the picture, you can see the next carrot over still underground. It was easier to see in person.
And here's Ollie thinking about that poor abandoned carrot, wondering if he can sneak it away...

That does mean that he will often get the first pick of the garden.
And the first wheelbarrow ride!
I love that having a garden encourages healthy, spontaneous snacking. There is the ever present danger that some veggies never make it to their full potential, though.
"Benjamin, what did you do with that little baby pepper??"

The grape tomatoes are the favorite and the plants have done well this year to keep the kids well supplied. Our yellow summer squash, zuchinni and cucumber plants were attacked early in the season by aphids and yellow striped cucumber beetles. I felt so defeated when I pulled them all out.
I think I've had the most fun with the carrots, since I've never grown them before. And pulling them up is like opening up a package-- you are never quite sure what they will look like!
This is our biggest one to date. It was a pretty exciting package to open!

I never seem to get all three kids looking at the camera at once. Two out of three isn't too bad...


Lovely Lila, aquiring more white in her old age. This angle is rather slimming for her!
Want a taste, Ollie? 
My little kale sprouts coming up now.
Comparison of the mammoth carrot that Jackson pulled out with the little ones he accidentally grabbed hold of first.
Here's a hole where we pulled out one of the carrots. If you look closely in the picture, you can see the next carrot over still underground. It was easier to see in person.
And here's Ollie thinking about that poor abandoned carrot, wondering if he can sneak it away...
No comments:
Post a Comment